Gender equality and women’s empowerment are central to the achievement of sustainable development. The lack of progress in all 12 critical areas of the Beijing Platform for Action is linked to chronic and persistent under investment in gender equality. It is imperative that civil society organizations and the women’s movement continue to add and strengthen their voice and contributions to the discussions around financing the new development agenda.
FINANCING FOR DEVELOPMENT (FFD) - WHAT’S AT STAKE FOR GENDER EQUALITY
Voice, Participation and Contributions of civil society organizations and the women’s movement within Financing for Development (FfD) discussions MUST increase!
WHAT is Financing for Development really about?
- The (re) distribution, allocation and utilization of financial resources to meet development needs.
- Transforming investment into concrete action in order to close the resource gaps that hinder gender equality
WHY is Financing for Development important for women?
- Prioritized, dedicated resource allocation and investment to achieve gender equality is an urgent imperative. Unless there is commitment to significantly scale up in scope and quality, the investment in gender equality and the ambitions of the Beijing Platform for Action will not be achieved.
- This is an opportunity to prioritize and dedicate significant and sustainable resources to achieve gender equality outcomes.
WHAT must happen?
- Women’s organizations MUST continue to demand accountability of all stakeholders for the full implementation of international norms and standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Domestic, international, public and private sources of financing MUST be mobilized and effectively used to achieve the full and accelerated implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action in order to meet commitments on the proposed gender equality goal (SDG 5) and gender sensitive targets in other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
HOW to get involved?
ADD YOUR VOICE!
- JOIN ongoing efforts to participate in the FfD conference
- REACH OUT to civil society groups already engaged and providing critical contributions to the FfD process:
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO