This technical brief builds on UN Women’s Guidance Note on ‘Assessing Fiscal Stimulus Packages to respond to the Socio-Economic Impacts of Covid-19’ and it presents key entry points for using gender responsive budgeting to assess and monitor COVID-19 fiscal support packages. It presents five main GRB tools with corresponding information and guiding questions to support their use in the current context. These tools are:
- Ex-ante gender impact assessment to analyze expected gender impacts of the package;
- Publicly available gender budget statement in which the government sets out how it expects the package to support women and promote gender equality;
- Mechanism for Parliamentary scrutiny in scrutinizing the package through parliamentary questions and committee hearings;
- Real time expenditure tracking system to monitor disbursements of the package and to issue reports on how far this is reaching women and supporting gender equality; and
- Gender audit of the expenditures by the state auditing institution, including an assessment of the gender equality impact of the expenditures actually disbursed; and a social audit by civil society organizations to monitor service delivery on the ground and how well it is responding.
To access the document, please visit the resources section of this website.